Sunday, January 9, 2011

What an amazing day!

1/9/2011 Day of the 15k 
I have been on such a high today...so many great things.  Today started bright and early at 4:45am to get the Bay Park Fitness booth setup at the 15k/5k race.  When I got there our table had disappeared...I was already a little nervous about setting up, making sure all my clients/Bay Park Fitness Team found it before the race, physically running the 15k myself, and if I was prepared for the warm-up I was invited to lead for ALL the race participants!  Luckily the race director was able to find where my table went and find me a replacement.  Our original spot was now taken over by the main stage but we ended up getting an EVEN better spot!  All my clients/Bay Park Fitness Team runners found the booth, and were all decked out in their Bay Park Fitness gear!  The race emcee announced that Bay Park Fitness would be leading the warm up over by our booth!  While not a lot of people besides our 11 teammates participated in the warm-up we got a quite a few shout outs over the intercom!  And it was the only Personal Training business at the event! Then the race started....my prego running partner had to use the restroom before the race and I was nervous she wouldn't be able to get back to the start line in time, but with just 2 minutes to spare I spotted her.  We started at our usual slow pace and took a bathroom break at about 2.5 miles into the race.  After that she had to stop at every porta potty...the babies must have not been in a good spot to run that day.  She told me to go ahead and she'd catch up.  I figured when I needed to make my second pit stop we'd meet up.  I felt a little pressure towards the last three miles...but EVERY bathroom was closed!  Luckily the bladder issue was manageable.  About halfway through the race I ran into what I usually do...a lot of the super fast start folks start to run out of steam and my slow-poke steady pace starts to pay off as I pass several of them.  I'm not totally sure if anyone actually realized they were getting passed by a 5month pregnant runner or if they just thought I was a runner with a beer gut.  I wore my "running for two" tank, but I don't know if anyone really noticed.  I felt great during the run, especially when I hit my stride about halfway through.  I think I finished around 1 hour 30 min which is about what I did at the 15k I did in Chicago when I was 12weeks.  The weather was definitely better than it was in Chicago though!  I had 3 clients run their first ever 5k, one of them got second place in her age group, everyone else had a great time racing and rekindled their love for endurance running, and after the race our team got interviewed on channel 6 news!  Talk about an exciting day!

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl,

    Thanks for the comment on my blog. It is so awesome you are continuing to run and race pregnant. Keep it up and you will be glad you did!

    The post you commented on was from 2007 - but now I'm pregnant again :). I just ran a marathon and planning a few more marathons and an ultra marathon before the baby is due. I'm just crossing my fingers I don't get injured. And I'll do the same for you!!

    BTW I always run in attire that states I'm pregnant, simply because I don't feel the need to push it too hard if others around me understand. Whatever it takes, right?!

    ReplyDelete