Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Set a goal for 2011 and become your OWN biggest fan!

12/28/2010
There have been a few more gaps in my "blogging" due to the busy holidays, but don't worry I was able to get in some exercise in between the enormous amounts of eating and socializing with friends and family.   (12/24/2010) Christmas eve I met my prego running partner for our long run where we were able to run 8miles with only 1 bathroom break!  That morning we started much earlier than normal because I had a few clients to train later in the morning.  As we started we both felt our normal kinks...not bad pain, just more of the normal stiffness before your body is awake and warmed up.  Then we both noticed that there seemed to be a lot of the "serious" athletic types out early in the morning...there was a guy that looked like he just got off his bike and was about to do a brick run (that's a training run after a bike ride to get your legs ready for triathlons), another man breezed by us wearing a t-shirt of a 50 miler run he had participated in, and several other super fit men and women that whizzed by us effortlessly.  Although we were trotting a long at our slow pace we still give each other props for getting out there and running and being part of the athletic pack.  Then about 3miles into our run I spotted a tall, big, but fit looking guy ahead of us who looked as if he was training for a marathon since his pace was about the same as ours (slow and steady).  My partner and I were trotting along chatting about our week of workouts and pregnancy stuff when I noticed we were creeping up on him.  I did a self check to make sure we were keeping our normal slow, steady pace and that I wasn't subconsciously trying to get competitive.  Then it happened...we kept our pace and PASSED him!  I waited until we were out of ear shot and whispered, "Did you happen to notice that we just passed someone who wasn't in their 3rd trimester or pushing two kids in a stroller?!"  She said, "I know...can you believe it?"  Well that gave us a little boost that we may be slow, but we still have a little fitness and athleticism left in our prego bodies.  We hit our turn around point and saw the same guy coming towards us.  He gave a smile and said "Great job ladies."  I'm not totally sure if he overheard that we're pregnant, that maybe we look pregnant now, or maybe he was just being nice to two women who passed him on his run, but either way it was a nice compliment and helped us cruise home with some confidence.

12/25/2010 Christmas Day I completely relaxed and indulged in the holiday treats.  The next day my running partner and I were in desperate need of some calorie burning activities after the food we had eaten, so we met up for a not so quick 5mile run (we finished in just under 60min!).

12/26/2010 Monday was an absolutely beautiful day and I was excited to get outside enjoy the awesome weather so I went for swim.  Luckily the water was pretty warm and I used my new goggles which made a HUGE difference.  I also got to use my new watch to help time and keep track of my workout.  I've always had a goal to hit the 3000meter mark during one of my swim workouts, and I finally did it.  I did a 3200m swim yesterday and it took me just over an hour to finish.  I thought about a lot during my swim, and one of the things that kept coming in my mind was how powerful your own self-talk, self-motivation, and perception can play on you setting and accomplishing your personal goals.  We put our own limits on what we think we can or can't do, and we're the only one that can truly motivate or demotivate ourselves.  I see it every day as a Personal Trainer and do my best to help people see their own potential and reach goals they never thought attainable before, and reset old limits.  But those who are successful with the tools I can offer are the ones that actually believe they can do it, not just because I think they can.  Two specific things that I realized while swimming...one the importance of "chunking" once you've decided and set a goal (big or small).  What I mean by chunking is this:  When I set out to want to do a 3000m swim it just seemed pretty daunting to do in a 25m pool, especially when you only know one type of swim stroke like me (120 laps = 3000m).  But when I broke up my workout into 100m and 200m sections it didn't seem quite so impossible to finish.  I just started slow and told myself I only had to do 4 laps at a time, and as I warmed up and felt like I hit stride I increased it to 8 laps at a time.  In the past I have been able to do 500 and even 1000m at one time, but for some reason I had created my own mental block with this 3000m workout goal.  After I was halfway through my workout the second thought came to me:  The importance of continually revisiting your goals and practicing or working everyday to get there.  January is usually the month that people start refocusing on themselves and their personal goals.  We get all pumped up and go hard core, then by the end of the month most people lose steam, and by March there are very few people still as gung-ho as they were in beginning of the year.  I think that we fail to achieve our goals for a two reasons: 1) We didn't clearly define the goal we wanted and why we want it 2) We don't revisit that goal on a daily, weekly, monthly basis to see how we're doing and if it's still something we really, really want.  I guarantee professional athletes don't just say one time that they want to win the Superbowl, win a gold medal at the Olympics, win the world cup, etc... They live and breathe it EVERYDAY ALL DAY.  We don't have to go quite so extreme, but it is important to take a few minutes and remind yourself what you want to accomplish and most importantly WHY you want to achieve that goal.
Going back to the title for today's BLOG..."You can be your own biggest fan" ...  I honestly believe we can control our own happiness by reminding yourself that you're worth it and making time for YOU and what YOU need to be happy.  When you feel empowered it has an incredible trickle down effect to the people in your life and even your career.  To everyone that has ever had a goal, ask yourself what's stopping you, then ask yourself again if what's stopping you is a real barrier or just an excuse.  Be your own biggest fan and make your goals happen this year.  We create and tear down our own barriers, not anyone else or anything else can do that for us.  So go be your own Biggest Fan starting TODAY, not starting in January, and take a step towards that goal.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore,
is not an act but a habit."
-Aristotle

12/27/2010  19weeks pregnant today!
This morning I finally got to get in a weight training workout.  I felt strong...and starving hungry at the end of my workout.  Then I got to train some great clients and made myself get out and enjoy the awesome weather again for a run.  I felt great...I did a little more than 6.5 miles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment